Dr. Robert (Bob) Holmes
Dr. Bob Holmes began his career at Fisons Pharmaceuticals, developing compounds for treating iron deficient anaemia. In 1972 he went to the University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology where he studied transition metal complexes of a stable free radical. In 1977 he carried out post-doctoral studies in free radical chemistry at the University of York.
In 1977 Bob moved to British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL) at Sellafield, UK, where he carried out development of the head-end of the Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant. In 1992 Bob was invited to run the BNFL Corporate Laboratory at Springfields in the UK and was instrumental in setting up a US subsidiary of BNFL, BNFL Inc. In 1996 Bob moved back to Sellafield to coordinate waste management R&D and was concurrently Technical Director of BNFL’s Engineering, Waste Management and Decommissioning Division. He was given the additional role of Chief Scientist which included performing due diligence on major projects and acquisitions. The most significant acquisition was Westinghouse, whilst major projects included waste management plant at Sellafield and three multi-billion dollar jobs in the USA.
In 1999 Bob moved to BNFL Inc where he was the Chief Technology Officer and Technical Manager of the Advanced Mixed Waste Treatment Plant, whilst retaining his role as BNFL Group Chief Scientist.
In 2006 BNFL Inc was acquired by EnergySolutions where Bob continued in his role of Chief Scientist. After leaving EnergySolutions Bob led the technical aspects of two successful bids, one of which being the CNEA bid to run the AECL facilities.
In 2015 Bob took up the role of Chief Scientist at CNL.
Honours and other activities include:
- Awarded a Dr of Science by DeMontfort University in the UK
- Professor at Queens University Belfast in the Department of Chemistry
- Associate Professor at the University of Idaho
- Associate of Wolfson College University of Oxford, UK
- Ran the UK, Minatom program in the former Soviet Union
- Chair of the Waste Technology Advisory Committee for the IAEA
- Served on advisory boards for the Daresbury Lab, an Integrated Research Facility run by the Universities of Liverpool and Manchester, the QUESTOR Center in Belfast, the UK High Level Waste review committee and served on the technical board for UK NIREX